Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Antigua (Part 2)

These are just a few of the highlights from my exploration of Antigua. It is definitely the most beautiful city I have ever been to...and the oldest. The beginnings of city were built in the early 17th century and it used to be the capital of the spanish colonies in the "new world". Most of the buildings in the center of town are still standing from when they were built between two and four hundred years ago. Okay, here is the history nerd in me coming out. The arch in the first picture below was built so that nuns in the 18th century could pass from one side of the street to the other without being seen. Pretty cool eh! Because of its beauty and history Antigua is now a major tourist destination in Guatemala. This certainly helped to ease my transition into the country. a lot of the city was designed to help tourists get around, some of the signs were even in English. I'm glad I went but I'm also glad to be on my way to a larger city where I can fully immerse myself in the culture and language of this country.  









No comments:

Post a Comment